Sunday, June 15, 2008

How To Change the World


Have you ever thought about changing the world?

What’s that?

You Can’t?

I had a teacher that used to always tell me that, "CAN’T means you WON’T!" At thirteen those words went right in one ear and out the other, but as I grew and matured, each time I said I can’t I thought to myself, "Can’t means you won’t!" Not being a quitter, I tried my hardest to never say the words, "I can’t."

So when I ask myself the question, "Have you ever thought about changing the world?" I say, "Sure, I’ll do it tomorrow." (Tomorrow never comes!) No seriously, I want to change the world TODAY! So I wake up each day and, look at the beautiful sun, clouds, rain, storms, weather (forget the news) and inhale deeply and think HOW am I going to change the world?
One person at a time! That’s how! But I need to start with ME!


If I am driving down the road and someone cuts in front of me (without a blinker.) Instead of going into a fit of road rage, I shoo that person along and say out loud to no one, "Go ahead you little person in a hurry, go get to where you’re going to." (Assuming they’ll get there alive, driving like a maniac.)

When I’m at the store and the cashier is in a less than friendlier mood, do I grumble at her (because she isn’t giving me MY proper service with a smile?) No, I smile at her, ask her how her day is going, and much to my surprise she responds with a little smile and tells me of her hard day. And guess what else? I actually listen and CARE how her day is going.


I see kids sitting in the one-hundred degree heat. Do I just pass them by without a care? (gripe because they are blocking my way into the door?) No, I ask them if they’d all like a popsicle, go into the house and hand them out by the dozens. (it is always good to stock up on freezie-pops in the summer.) They’re cheap enough and I have made a lot of little kids happy!


There are many more instances that I have the ability to make one person smile within a day. I take on the job of changing the world by making that one person smile and MAYBE they will do the same for someone else. Maybe it will spread like a rapid disease across the land and I can say, "I had a hand in changing the world one person at a time." Will a smile change the world? Maybe, because it is warmth of love that spreads through the heart and surfaces on the face!

This may be a dream of mine to change the world but I figure this, if every single person tries to change the world with me, maybe this will be the best disease to infest America since it was formed!

Have you smiled today? Have you made someone else smile? That is me, doing my work and it is paying off! :-)

1 Cor. 15: [51] Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Joni, I enjoyed your post and you stepped on my toes - thank you!

My dad use to say if you go to church and the preacher didn't step on your toes then either he wasn't preaching or you weren't listening.

Raises right hand. I promise to try and do better at doing my part to change the world one act at a time.

granny