Saturday, May 16, 2009

Quotation Saturday

Welcome to Quotation Saturday
pic by: Adam (my son)

The generous Critic fann'd the Poet's fire, And taught the world with reason to admire. ~ Edgar Allen Poe


If writers stopped writing about what happened to them, then there would be a lot of empty pages. ~ElaineLiner

Keep writing. Keep doing it and doing it. Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing.
~ Heather Armstrong , Keynote Speech, SXSW 2006

I am a galley slave to pen and ink.
~Honore de Balzac (1799 - 1850)

Writing well means never having to say, 'I guess you had to be there.'
~Jef Mallett , Frazz, 07-29-07

The tendinous part of the mind, so to speak, is more developed in winter; the fleshy, in summer. I should say winter had given the bone and sinew to literature, summer the tissues and the blood.
~John Burroughs (1837 - 1921), The Snow-Walkers

Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will certainly misunderstand them. ~John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money.
~ Jules Renard (1864 - 1910)

I take the view, and always have, that if you cannot say what you are going to say in twenty minutes you ought to go away and write a book about it.
~ Lord Brabazon(1884 - 1964)

There's always something to write about. If there's not then you need to live life more aggressively. ~Min Kim, Better Blogging Brainstorming, SXSW 2006

This is the challenge of writing. You have to be very emotionally engaged in what you’re doing, or it comes out flat. You can’t fake your way through this.
~Real Live Preacher

I never feel that I have comprehended an emotion, or fully lived even the smallest events, until I have reflected upon it in my journal; my pen is my truest confidant, holding in check the passions and disappointments that I dare not share even with my beloved.
~ Stephanie Barron, Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor, 1996

2 comments:

June said...

Love the Stephanie Barron quote, Joni!

Most of these I've not run across.

Thanks for the experience...

Hugs,
June

Raven said...

Love the Heather Armstrong quote. It was very pertinent to where I've been this past week. Curses to the revision process! Each time I think I'm finished with this particular draft, I discover something annoying that I missed the first (or tenth) time around, but which is now as conspicuous as a bloody elephant in the living room.

Sigh. Reading this quote helped bring things back into perspective.
I'm back at it this afternoon.

Curses. Okay, maybe just little curses....

You're doing great in the F2K forum.

Raven