Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Legend of Saint Nicholas

The Legend of Saint Nicholas


There he sat in a great big chair,

Velvet red suit, snow-like hair.
Full of laughter, joy, and cheer.
Once again that time of year.

"Mommy, mommy, who is he?"
Are words I longed to hear.
But what do you say to innocence,
To make the story clear?

Do I grant him imagination,
His mind set to explore?
Or thrust him into reality,
Allowing his soul to soar?

I tell the story of Jesus,
His gracious, humble birth.
About how wise men brought Him gifts.
Because He blessed this earth.

St. Nicholas too, was a humble man,
Who loved all girls and boys.
He gave them joy and laughter,
By blessing them with toys.

His giving to children once a year,
To feel enormous pleasure.
Throughout eternity, each child will hold,
A day they'll always treasure.

Chosen was the day of our Lord,
I'm sure He wouldn't mind.
Sharing His appointed birthday,
With a man so warm and kind.

Jesus had inspired a man,
To lovingly care and give.
And through the spirit of both these men,
Their memories will live.

So once a year, St. Nicholas' spirit,
Dwells in the hearts of men.
Bringing imagination to life,
In any way he can.

3 comments:

June said...

Excellent, Joni! I love how you connect these two stories -- both with important messages for all the year.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Best Wishes,
June

Steven said...

You write the best Christmas poems!

Raven said...

Another enjoyable poem! I love Saint Nicholas! He always left the gifts under the tree as celebration of Jesus' birth. I'm so glad to have some time to catch up on my reading. It's been a chaotic month. These poems are making me feel like Christmas has yet to come!

Raven