Friday, January 22, 2010

Spybots afoot

1 Chron.16: 27 Glory and honour are in his presence; strength and gladness are in his place.
***


I’ve had my blog for almost three years now! Thank you, thank you. Almost 400 posts now. I know, I know, some bloggers have thousands, write five times a day, yada yada yada. But when I began this blog, I wanted it to have content. Quality content. Something where when someone reads this, no matter what the post, they are going to think about what they read. Hopefully not in a bad way either.

I think I achieved my goal. I have content! Enough where spybots have sought me out and are trying to spam me left and right. Okay, maybe not seek me out, but have found that I have an active blog, and think it is worth advertising? At first the little buggers got posted, I got an email verification and immediately run in here to remove them. Their ten minutes of fame didn’t last long on my blog!

So then I tried comment moderation. This is where a suspected spybot has to get approved or deleted by me, before it ever makes it to my blog. All good right? Well no because if you have a blog of your own with blogger (or wordpress for that matter) the comment just goes right on through to be posted on my blog. I still get the email verifications so if I suspect someone is trying to spam me, I go and delete their post.

Now people are getting more creative in advertising on my blog. I’m controlling the little bugging spybots, but I’m not having much success with people who will start a blog, post a comment or really just be a linking walking advertisement because their blogs have no posts!!! I don’t have a problem with that as long as it isn’t malicious or lined with links to drugs, also I don’t have a problem sending people to my friends blogs, I post their links to the left just so you know what is out there in way of my friends, but to start a blog just so you can be seen here? I’m honored.

Honored to think that people find so much good stuff on my blog that they want to share it, comment on it, advertise on it, and even become a friend of mine. Way to go people! Thank you for the ego boost. Now I need to get down to business and guide the writers into a whirlwind of imagination and get them writing! But remember...I’m always watching.

Have a great and glorious sun-filled day because even if there’s clouds...the sun is still shining!

8 comments:

Steven said...

Sorry, I'll send my spybots elsewhere from now on. :P

Ro said...

I don't understand what you're saying about comment moderation. I have comment moderation, and nothing gets past my email, no matter if people have a Blogger account or not. So I don't understand why it wouldn't work for yours?

joni said...

Stormcrow,your spybots are not life threatening, they're puppy doggish, even. :P

Ro, I dunno why blogger does the things it does. Yours, stormcrows, Ravens and any other blogger gets through. I might have it set to to allowing blogger.com peeps to get through because I like the open forum of it all. (It doesn't allow anonymous peeps in for nothing!)
I'm good, I just keep my eyes open and my ears peeled to the sounds of I-bot the spybot. lol :-) *smile*

Ro said...

Oh I see. You don't have comment moderation set then. With mine, every single comment needs my approval, no matter who it is. So if the spam gets out of control, that is always an option.

joni said...

The spam comments make it to my email and it is so much fun when it says ACCEPT or REJECT!
I think I'm a control freak because I feel such power in clicking REJECT! ha ha
Now the people who start blogs to be linking advertisements? Their adverts are writing based so I let them be. :-) But one guy was offering drugs and I deleted him and beat him up on the way out!
Ok, I embellished the part about beating him up, but I would have! hahahaha

Ro said...

Oooh I didn't know there were different levels of security with the comment moderation. Very interesting lol!

June said...

Something I'm not looking forward to (just started my blog in December 2009). I'm at wordpress.com and choice to see the comments before they are posted. Just crossing my fingers!

Take care,
June

joni said...

June,
I hear choosing to see the comments before they're posted pretty much keeps it from happening and may be the route I go, very soon.

Thanks for visiting!

joni