Sunday, September 11, 2016

Poetry Sunday ~ September Eleven

Isa. 2:11 The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, and the haughtiness of men shall be bowed down, and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
***
September 11

I cradled my morning coffee,
my eyes they struggled to see
a horrific terrible tragedy,
unfolding in front of me.
Today’s background clutter,
seemed to take a second stance,
scrambling cameras everywhere,
gave rise to a deeper glance.
A plane had hit a building,
I couldn't believe my eyes.
the horror of a gaping wound,
of such an enormous size.
By now I'm jolted wide awake,
something was just not right.
I witnessed the impact yet again,
on the twin without a fight.
Billowing smoke and fragments,
scattered all around.
People frozen in a spot,
as objects fall to the ground.
Reports of other targets,
were coming into view.
My tear-filled eyes were wondering.
what this world was coming to.
In merely a matter of moments,
my blurry eyes did see;
heroes rushing into the scene,
as workers fought to flee.
The crumbling of a building,
number two not far behind.
The crashing of plane three and four,
had mentally boggled my mind.
I couldn't feel my fingers;
a wounded numbness arose.
I sat in total disbelief
as my body stood there froze.
Longing to be shaken,
from this nightmare that is real
my body shrouded in emptiness,
as I buckled to a kneel.
I prayed for love torn strangers,
whose faces dripped with fear.
I longed for welcome solace,
through the shedding of a tear.
The aroma of terror lingers,
as I'm trembling to the core.
I long for the taste of freedom,
which I sense will be no more.
A sleeping nation awakened,
by the trumpets sounding in heaven.
Altering our lives forever,
on the day of September eleven.

Copyright © Joni Zipp
written: Sept. 11, 2001

Isa. 12: 4 And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.
God Bless America!


4 comments:

NurseArtist said...

Joni, you captured the essence of the day to a perfect T. This poem should be shared publicly on every medium. I see the videos of that day, and it makes me even angrier that these young football players feel they have been oppressed. I realize they were only small children when 9-11 happened, so they have no personal memories of the tragedy, but it still galls me. I pray that someday we can have a lasting peace and people will learn to get along and live together without violence and oppression.

joni said...

Thanks, Dixie. I wrote this on the day of so the emotions were very raw.
I still read it to this day and it brings a tear to my eye.
I lived in Baltimore at the time so it was real close to home. The soot from NY and D.C landed on the cars in Maryland. So in a way, the tragedy touched me in more ways than what the TV displayed.

Not memories I like to revisit but ones I like to never forget. You know what I mean?

*hugs*

benning said...

Thanks, Joni. This was perfect. <3

joni said...

Thanks Ben. Something perfect to come out of an imperfect day. :)