Monday, August 21, 2017

Interesting...

Once in a lifetime!

It Was Interesting...the visit

We had been invited to our sister-in-laws birthday party. This would be another event of this loving family to get together. With food, love, and laughter the day would celebrate her 50th birthday. The differences with his family as opposed to my family back home in Maryland are polar opposites. My family hated get-togethers and whenever we did have one there was always alcohol, in hindsight, I guess to take off the edge of having to be together.

My new family is all about love! God is in this family so there is no alcohol at get-togethers just food, laughter and hugs and love! What a contrast for me. Since my diagnosis in January left me with slim pickins’ at these events, I chose to just avoid them all together. I did attend a graduation this year but skipped the food afterward and opted for going home. A wedding had me missing the reception because of food. A funeral had me attending the wake but all I ate was string beans.

This year we had already missed the Easter gathering, we missed his sister’s July cookout, too. When this invitation arrived I once again was hesitant in going because I know his brother always has some good food! And the man uses spices! The rest of the family has great food mind you, but to my tastes, coming from back east, I miss the bite it takes to make a meal taste good.

I really don’t want my husband to begin resenting me for this disease. Not that he would but in MY mind, he will. So I overcame my hesitation and told him I’d like to go. He was surprised and excited at the same time because for sure he thought we’d skip this family time, too. 

Hubby had told me his mom would be bringing fruit, non-organic but fruit nonetheless. So at least I knew I’d nibble something. If it’s one thing I realize with this disease and the food available is that it is not always going to be organic. So while I eat non-organic fruits and vegetables, I limit the intake, I scrub and clean them when they’re mine, or I bypass them altogether, but I will allow a nibble or two to fill my mouth. I DO NOT allow toxic meat in my body! No Way! That could ruin everything I’m trying to accomplish here.

We arrived at the house and it was filled with that familiar sights, sound, and smell. The family (mainly hers) gathered together in laughter and the aroma of, what else in the mid-west, pork! Their idea of bar-b-que is b-b-qued pulled pork. I didn’t like pork before this illness so it really has no sway over me. Now the aroma, that’s another thing, I did love bar-b-que so the aroma had my mouth watering as soon as the smell hit my nose!

My sis-in-law said she didn’t even know that they were having a party. Her mom arrived and her hubby made a huge pot of iced tea (sugarless, blah) and she thought hmm…that’s odd, why such a big pot of tea. Then her brothers and sister and nieces came bearing food and she finally was clued into what they were up to. No one likes surprises so this was the easiest way to surprise her without saying SURPRISE!

Everyone started digging into the scrumptious meal. Spoons were clanging, ice was being dropped into cups and the festivities were underway. All the talk was about the impending Eclipse and the parties all around town and the state for that matter. Rumor has it that Harrison Ford is in Alliance, Ne. to view the eclipse and hotels are booked beyond means, more than when we have the Crane passing through. Apparently, Nebraska is the bullseye of the passing of the eclipse.

More on that later, right now this post is about food! I sat and watched as people filled their faces, gobble after gobble of unhealthy fattening foods, pork, pasta, cake, deviled eggs, more pasta, pickle wraps and there sat two fruit salads going untouched, and there sat little skinny me.  I rose to my feet, got me a plate and filled it with fruit! Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, pineapple, cantaloupe and more, I was in fruit heaven, for sure!

After everyone was just about done, I saw two of the big guys get up and dig into the fruit. A small plate considering the hefty plates they had just finished. The conversation between his, brother, sister, mother and I was about food. They were like, “Why can’t we just eat what we want?” Not directed at me, directed at weight gain in general. I said, “You CAN eat what you want, we all do.” The reply… “Yeah but without the weight gain.” I said, “Oh. I get it, you want to win a million dollars without buying a ticket?” chucklechucklechuckle, agreement all around.

That’s not how it goes people. EAT all you want but know, you HAVE to PAY for whatever you put in your mouth!  

Gotta run… Eclipse time! God bless us all!

Luke 21:25-28 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.


4 comments:

benning said...

No, I *DON'T* wanna buy the ticket! ;)

joni said...

You're not alone, bud, you're not alone!

<3 *HUGS*

NurseArtist said...

My problem is that most of the foods that are healthy for me, the veggies in particular, do not agree with my stomach. onions, peppers, cucumbers, and a few others, give me horrendous heartburn, even if I take an antacid beforehand. Broccoli, sprouts, spinach, kale, asparagus, and other green veggies, are foods that I just never liked. I'm trying to expand my food horizons, but it's going to take a long time for me.

I am glad, however, that you have family now that you can enjoy being around, who can give you joy and companionship, even if they do eat well. :) I'm sorry that your own birth family has so many problems getting along. I can't even imagine that kind of pain.

Losing a daughter taught me one thing. There is no time for grudges or ill feelings in the family. It only takes a second to lose one, and the regrets start piling up instantly. I pray that some day your birth family will realize that (without losing someone first).

Praying for you. Delighted that you got the full experience of the eclipse. That must have been awesome! In Clyde, we noticed it was dimmer, but the street lights came on and kept the streets pretty light. It was a little disappointing in that respect, but otherwise, I loved it.

Keep eating healthy. I want to keep reading your blog for a very very long time. ;)

joni said...

I understand, Dix. There was a time when I couldn't eat onions, peppers, cucumbers etc. It wasn't until I got rid of the carbs and sugar was my stomach allowing food, the good stuff ;) in. I'm feeling the best I've ever felt in many years.

And the funny thing with my blood family is I was the only one who did and still has the doorway of communication open. I harbor no ill feelings for them but I am glad found a nice safe family to know and understand what actual love feels like, :)

I have every intention of writing my blog for a very long time, now what God has planned is another matter. lol

Love ya! *hugs*