Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Change


1 Cor. 15: 51 "Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,"

I’m sitting here in the safety of my home warmed by heat as the snow passes outside my window. It’s making me think of the last minute shoppers that need to take a chance with life and to get out on the slippery roads.

I think of the older folk who flee to Florida to be in a warmer climate because the cold is too much for them to bear. I myself enjoy the cold winter air. I embrace four seasons, none of which I got when living in Texas where it felt like summer and spring year round.

We need change to appreciate living a life of blessings. If we stay the same year after year, continually living the same thing day after day, there doesn’t seem to be much room for growth. We can tell ourselves we’re changing, we can try to change but the mundane becomes normal and sometimes we see no need for change.

I hear quite a few Nebraskans wishing winter was already over but they remain in Nebraska knowing full well the winter and its harshness, so why stay? They stay because of home. People plant themselves in a home and stay for generations never leaving no matter how unbearable the space around them makes them cringe.

I’ve told the story many of times of my life back in Baltimore where I yearned deep in my soul to branch out and leave. Leave I did. I left all of my worldly possessions, and not so worldly possessions. I left behind years of memorable collections that then became junkyard fodder.

A lot of time has passed and I still miss certain things that meant a lot to me, stupid things to you but to me, cherished. I miss my very first Teddy Bear – Bith that I held onto thinking he’d journey with me in life. I miss my jewelry box filled with trinkets and stuff that my parents had given me over a span of my lifetime. I miss nic-nacs that I left behind. I miss, I miss, I miss but I let it all go. No longer mine, just memories of what was and will never be again.

While I see the world around me uncomfortable with change, I see a few who are willing to take the leap and give it all up for the love of God. While this year was and still is in the changing phases of my life, I have loving memories of what was and what will never be and what was not meant to be and what is to come.

I’ll end this blessed year with a changing of the calendar and a change within me. I’ll continue to grow and learn from all this craziness in the world, I’ll share my life as it unfolds if for no ones eyes but my own. Change to me is shedding of the old ways and making new and loving paths, my ways.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good write…


2 comments:

benning said...

Change for the sake of change I cannot accept. Doing something - right now! - because a voice cries out, "We have to do something!" is foolish. I like the four seasons, but that doesn't mean I want to drive in snow. ;)

*HUGS!* <3

joni said...

I never change for the sake of change, I change because God MOVES me to change. :)