Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Time to Focus


Pss. 131:1 “Lord my heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty; neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things to high for me.”

Time for me to focus or should I say RE-focus. Here lately I’ve been focused on what I deem the ‘wrong’ things in life and not focusing on the God things in life. We missed last Sunday’s service and I desperately NEEDED this Sunday’s service.

Saturday the 14ths storm left me so tired with the inability to sleep, the next day I could hardly move. But we went out and cleaned up the debris anyway. Any time I miss even ONE Sunday, the rest of the week is a fog. I feel lost and unable to focus. No internet brought things into focus for me. I often wonder how people get by in life with just living day by day, reading and believing when there is such a fountainful of beauty awaiting them in some church somewhere out there.

When we miss a church service the rest of the week becomes a blur. Sure I wake in the morning, continue with my bible reading, pray for the ones in need (and there ARE many) and have our bible reading before bed, but the week becomes a series of going through the motions and not doing anything actively to change. Then when a Sunday service comes along, I come home rejuvenated NEEDING to write, loving to read, feeling life in a whole new way.

Then there’s the weather. I love a rainy day and cloud cover but summer brings heat, bugs and the inability to move. I don’t know why but the heat just gets to me. I throw myself a pity party with no one the wiser. “She sounds good, so she must BE good.” If only they knew. I watch as so many of my friends are suffering much worse than I am and they endure, so why can’t * I * endure?

Because one Sunday of missed church service has me feeling sorry for myself. With service I coast through the week, shrugging off my pain and disability. It’s that simple. I need to focus on the God things in life and the internet is not a God thing.

I watch as my Christian friends refocus on God things and suddenly things begin to happen. Good things! GOD things. They know what I’m talking about. Much needed jobs appear, parties go on without dramatic events, dramatic events take a turn for the better, and just those sorts of things.

I watch as my semi-christian friends go on reading and believing. Semi-Christian you ask? What’s that? It’s where people call themselves Christians but do nothing but read and believe. Sorry folks, there’s much more to being a Christian than just calling yourself a Christian.

Do any of you know of this quote?
“Just because you go to church doesn't mean you're a Christian. I can go sit in the garage all day and it doesn't make me a car”  ~ Joyce Meyer

I’ve seen different renditions but they all mean the same thing. Just because you call yourself a Christian doesn’t MAKE you a Christian. Obeying the will of God, focusing on God ALL the time, not just when it’s convenient for you, and living FOR God not yourself, these are the things that make you a Christian.

Semi-Christians call themselves Christians but that’s it, they do nothing to focus their lives ON God and this is the very reason their lives remain stagnant and go nowhere. It’s not Gods fault, it’s YOUR fault for not knowing where the focus in life should be.

Yes, Church to ME is a focal point; food for my soul. It keeps me focused on God throughout the week and not myself. I’m going to state a fact here as to which I know from experience; focus on God and your life will change. It will be like a swift storm coming into you and your life gets rearranged and out of the commotion comes blessings, beautiful blessings. Your focus on LIFE will shift and you’ll now walk with God. A life changing EXPERIENCE!

I guess you have to experience it for yourself to believe it.

Pss. 131: 2 “Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child

No comments: