Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Bucket List


2 Pet. 1:4 “Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”

We watched a movie titled Bucket List. It starred Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, two exemplary actors looking every bit their age but they still shine. I recommend the movie to anyone who likes non-sex and inspirational movies.

Without giving too much away, the story is about two men who have a bucket list of things to do before they die. It kind of had me thinking of all the things I’d like to do before I die.  I more than likely won’t complete my bucket list but I can dream, can’t I?

My number one thing to do is to get back home and see my mother before SHE dies and before I meet the maker.

My number two thing is silly. I want to sleep beneath the stars all night, a tent, a sleeping bag and a candle (or lantern) but preferably no snakes.

Number three has already been attempted but I want to succeed – I want to pet a cow! Yes people, you read it right, this city gal wants to pet a cow! If I could pet all farm animals that would be the icing on the cake so I won’t push it.

Number four is to have my inspirational poems self-published. I need my name to live on and don’t want to burden my son or husband by having them publish my work AFTER I die. But then again, isn’t that when most poets become famous for their work? Hmm… I’ll keep that in mind.

Number five – well I haven’t really gotten number five yet. I’ll have to let you know on that one. 

I’ve done so much in my life that actually making a bucket list of things to do is really harder than it sounds. 

Horseback riding? Done that. A trip to Disney World? Been there done that and I think I’m the only child who walked away from there saying, well let’s not go THERE again. Florida to me is like hell with candy canes, yeah that’s what it is to me. (I like snow and cold weather, keep that in mind.)

I’ve ridden a train (for twenty hours to be exact) to the aforementioned hell with candy canes. At the end of our ride, somewhere in Florida, the train derailed, one of the cars did, and we had to sit for hours before we got moving again, so no a train ride is not on my bucket list of things to do anymore.

You’d think climb a mountain would be on my list? Well, as a kid we used to summer vacation in the Pocono Mountains and mountain climbing was on our list and that along with horseback riding is what we did, as well as swim and bask at an isolated lake. All of the vacationing folk were pretty much gone when we arrived in late August so we had the entire community to ourselves. We stopped going when they turned the quiet place into a skiing community, which took away the beauty of the solitude it was exceptional for.

The Pocono Mountains is where I fell madly in love with the night sky. Billions upon billions of stars blanketed the sky in a shimmering diamond mine sort of spectacle and returning home to the city life left me yearning for the night cover that the mountains gave to me. Hence, the reason I want to sleep under the stars before I make my way to heaven. 

I’ve never had the wish to go skydiving or bungee jumping so that’s not on my list and my fear of heights helps with that part of the list. Basically, my list boils down to getting in touch with nature and all of her living, breathing animals; that to me brings me closer to God.

So my number five is really petting and seeing as many farm animals as I possibly can.

There you have it…at that point I can die in peace knowing I have lived a full life not of wants and needs but of the love of nature and all of God’s creatures. This is MY Bucket List, what does yours look like? 

4 Ezra 14:14 “Let go from thee mortal thoughts, cast away the burdens of man, put off now the weak nature,”

No comments: