Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Going With Confidence?

Ps. 118:8 “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.”

Going with Confidence?

I say this amid a week of doubts and uncertainty. While I still feel assured doing what I’m doing is the right thing, there are those days that doubt creeps in like the mouse you never knew you had peeks his head out as a crumb falls to the floor. You didn’t know it was there but sure enough, his eyes meet yours and he scurries away.

Here I am five days away from Christmas. The weather has been unseasonably warm, the winds brutal and just like Christmas itself will arrive, so will old man winter awaken on the twenty-first of December to give us our first real winter cold spell.

I’m going to be honest here, I don’t think I’m ready for the family gathering. I’ve noticed here lately it is getting harder to pass up those sweet treats, drinks and toxic (to me) foods. I do, but it feels harder than when this all began eleven months ago.

I caved last week after going through the entire food store full of Christmas cookies, eggnog, sprinkle-topped sugar cookies of seasonal red and green colors, biscuits and breads, turkeys and hams. I rounded the freezer section and WHAM there it was – a pizza – Maximus Supremus it said, with a window to gaze at the topping filled pizza. It somehow jumped into my cart and to my husbands' amazed eyes he questioned my choice. “I want pizza!” I exclaimed with tear-rimmed eyes and made it to checkout with pizza in tow.

That night for dinner I gobbled five pieces of the delicious cheese-filled topping exploding pizza after shoveling the small slices in my mouth savoring every single bite. Not without guilt, I might add because yes, the measly two pieces that were left, I left for my son to eat. Eleven months of not caving and cheating on my protocol went out the window for a brief moment in time when I indulged in satisfying my flesh! I caved!

While my husband himself has remarkably slowly given up his addiction to sugar and Pepsi, not for me, for his own health, still can eat what he wants. Most of the time the Doritos, or cheese and crackers, or the three-flavored popcorn in a tin, doesn’t bother me, but here lately with the facebook walls lighting up with sugar cookies and toxins that would kill me paint the walls in hopes of satisfying the ones that they will only slowly kill. 

The holiday is all about food and family here. It’s not about exchanging gifts, it’s not about seeing family you haven’t seen all year, it’s about getting together and sharing a meal. I remember last year on Christmas we were hit with a torrential downpour with hail, lightning and thunder crashing all around the vehicle almost keeping us from the visit. But we made it to our destination safely and of course, we had a great time. Their concern (after seeing we all made it) was wanting to know how I was doing and I basically said fine and that I’d have a doctor visit and would know more. And boy did I ever learn more. At the time I thought I was suffering from MS but little did I know it was much worse.

This year we’re going to be hit with a seasonal cold spell! Twenty-three degree high is predicted for Christmas Day. While many across the nation have already dealt with the blustery cold and snowy season, the fifties have spoiled us. This tiny woman, forty pounds lighter, might feel the biting cold more than I have in the nine years since I’ve been in Nebraska.

While I feel I’m doing well, I don’t feel ready to be seated around a table full of delicious smelling food that in years past I ate and enjoyed. I have to watch as people overload their plates, go for seconds, complain about needing to lose weight as they head to the dessert table and proceed to get two helpings. I have to remain silent as people overindulge, laugh and chuckle as they fill their faces, while I can’t as I’m writhing, holding back tears. I am going to need iron strength not to carry the bitter taste in my mouth that I have right at this moment.

Will this stop me from fighting my fight with everything I have? By no means! I am not faltering just because a Christmas party declares I NEED to eat the toxic (to ME) food served. I declare that I have at least twenty years left in me, assuming the world even lasts that long. I have a spiritual family online that loves and cares that I succeed and will lend me prayers where I need. I know I may come off as confident and secure but know, there are times I break, I cry, I pout, then remember to whom this season belongs to and am reminded that my strength lies in Him! I will go in confidence only because I know I am loved. 

Prov. 3:26 “For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.”

Merry Christmas my Spiritual Family! I am counting on your prayers to carry me through with confidence! God Bless Everyone!

Elaine DeBoucher made this for me

5 comments:

benning said...

"people overload their plates, go for seconds, complain about needing to lose weight as they head to the dessert table and proceed to get two helpings." Yeah! I recognize me! :D

It's okay to step off the diet on occasion. That actually helps. You get some satisfaction for the cravings, and step right back on that diet. No guilt needed.

Do you allow yourself honey? It's certainly 'natural', right? Have you ever considered carob? This is similar to chocolate, but more delicate, and has a natural, light sweetness. Might be something to consider, even though you aren't a chocoholic. ;) And carob isn't toxic to humans while chocolate actually is.

Hang in there! You can, and ARE, doing it, Joni! :D <3

*HUGS!*

joni said...

Ewww you said the word 'diet'! Eww! This is a protocol for healing, not a diet. :P That's the problem with people, they call it a diet and cheat like mad, make it a SAVING YOUR LIFE protocol and maybe you'd adhere. ;) "Is this going to save my life or DAMAGE my life?"

I allow 100% pure organic maple syrup drizzled over my baked apples and pineapples!

I really don't crave sweets and no, chocolate anything doesn't lure me, organic or otherwise.

I can handle temptations but going off protocol actually causes my lump to HURT and so no, I will not stray. Once in eleven months was good for me! :D

Watching my husband and son eat is okay, but watching a hefty family kill themselves, kinda hurts me. While I have a salad and stares? We'll see how it goes, I'm overthinking it I KNOW!!

*HUGS* <3

joni said...

Added note: My hubby has gone down a belt size since starting a new PROTOCOL FOR LIFE a little over a month ago! :D

Kristena said...

You are simply amazing, Joni. One of the most amazing I know.
Yes, there's going to be times you're weak; times you fail.
Those are the time that God is able to show us His straight.
It's in our weakness that He covers us with His grace.
Hugs. I love you and you are in my prayers this holiday season, and always.

joni said...

Thank you, Stena! My Spiritual Family and their support mean the world to me!

AMerry Blessed Christmas to you and yours!

<3 *HUGS*