Saturday, June 13, 2009

Quotation Saturday



Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space.
~Orson Scott Card

The story I am writing exists, written in absolutely perfect fashion, some place, in the air. All I must do is find it, and copy it.
~Jules Renard, "Diary," February 1895

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen. But if you have not a pen, I suppose you must scratch any way you can.
~Samuel Lover, Handy Andy, 1842

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster.
~Isaac Asimov

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.
~Peter De Vries

Writing, I think, is not apart from living. Writing is a kind of double living. The writer experiences everything twice. Once in reality and once in that mirror which waits always before or behind.
~Catherine Drinker Bowen, Atlantic, December 1957

To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make.
~Truman Capote, McCall's, November 1967

For me, a page of good prose is where one hears the rain [and] the noise of battle. ~John Cheever

Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. ~Gene Fowler

Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.
~Flannery O'Connor

Every great writer is a writer of history, let him treat on almost any subject he may.
~Walter Savage Landor, Imaginary Conversation: Diogenes and Plato

No comments: