It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways. ~Buddha
There are a lot of addictions out there in this world and writing is one of them. Tapping on the keys minute after minute, waking people in the early sunrise of the morning with all the flutter, what an annoying sound, eh? Tap Tap Tap!!!
So how can you stop this addiction? How can you cure yourself of such addiction, if at all possible? Follow these twelve steps and you for sure, will never want to write again. Go ahead, I dare ya!
1) Visit facebook once a day, early morning and visit say, 25-50 of your friends. Say good morning, wait for a response, wheee and woohoo a little or maybe a lot. A really cool distraction from writing!
2) Visit your writing class, you know, that’s the place that holds your addiction of writing too, but instead, read the posts and comment your heart out and LOOK like your a writer just by being there. Again, do some WHEE-ing and WOOHOO-ing so you don’t look like a serious writer.
3) Wander aimlessly at space dot com. I can get lost in that place for a day even a couple days and forget that I’m a writer in an astral second!
4) Go play in the garden. This is a sure fire way to get distracted from writing. The soil between your fingers, the blooms that need trimming, the sun pounding on your back. Just get lost in the pleasantry of it all.
5) Go for a ride down a country road. This is another good distraction. You get lost in the beauty of the landscapes and fragrances, so no need to worry about writing out there.
And don’t you dare take a pen and notebook, sit under the shade of a tree while a river is flowing right past you.
6) Who am I kidding? You actually made it to number six, thinking there is a possible cure for a writing addiction? There is no cure! There are many distractions that will keep you from writing, and all of the above 1-5 are there just eking you into submission, so you DON’T write!
Try this, so you don’t become distracted. Use facebook to actually say good morning, then LEAVE (or delete the account completely.) Go to your writing site and actually use it to LEARN something! Not to PLAY! The writing life is not all about WOOHOO-ing and if I see one more WOOHOO grace my screen, I think I’ll just end it all. It is utterly unprofessional, and distracting and if it continues, I’m going to enjoy what my Sunday surprise brought me, NO INTERNET!!!
Yup that’s it folks, the trick to actually getting writing done is to write and not look at the internet until you’re done for the day!
Happy Blazing Trails into the WRITING world!!! Now Write!
The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins. ~Bob Moawad