Sunday, August 03, 2008

Poetry Sunday



The Revenge of the Sea



I set ‘asail a calming sea

it called to me one day.

I went to find a peace within

I knew would come my way.



I mellowed on the deck below

my tiny boat was swaying.

My mind was playing tricks on me

with thoughts that I was weighing.



The blackened sky whispered sounds,

a rumbling from afar

It sounded as if God Himself

had left the door ajar.



I rushed up top just in time

to see the clouds were rippling.

The thrashing of the eager waves

made guidance very crippling.



The squall was just above me now;

clouds seemed to descend

upon this tiny boat of mine,

On which I now depend.



Droplets of rain grazed my face

I began to sense a peace.

For in this shroud of turmoil.

The sea's revenge will cease.



A glimpse of golden streams I see.

A beacon to hold my stare.

All at once I realized,

The storm was never there.



Copyright © joni zipp

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joni,

Boy did I ever need this. I'm in the mist of a storm right now, lots of chaos, but I know it isn't really a storm, but the winds of change. I'm weathering it with a rag, a tattered check book and lots of prayers.

Thanks for the lovely poem.

Raven

joni said...

:-) It is only a PAASING bit of weather of change.
It too shall pass! I'll keep you in my prayers as we all trudge on together!

Be well Raven! My biggest fan! :-)

Thanks!

Joni

June said...

Your words are my oasis in the wilderness....

Beautiful!

Take care,
June

joni said...

Thanks June! I'm glad my words comfort. That is what writing is all about.

Playing catch-up? lol And you just wanted to stop on a comfort note.
:-) This is one of my favorite poems!

Glad you both enjoyed it!

Joni

Anonymous said...

And a week later here I am for Poetry Sunday. =)
I particularly like the poems referring to the sea. You can imagine I like this one very much.
I'll be waiting for tomorrow's Poetry Sunday!
-Susan