Saturday, September 05, 2009

Quotation Saturday


"People want to know why I do this, why I write such gross stuff.
I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy ~~
and I keep it in a jar on my desk."
~ Stephen King

One nice thing about putting the thing away for a couple of months before looking at it is that you start appreciate your own wit. Of course, this can be carried too far. But it's kind of cool when you crack up a piece of writing, and then realize you wrote it. I recommend this feeling.
~Steven Brust

Writing wasn’t easy to start. After I finally did it, I realized it was the most direct contact possible with the part of myself I thought I had lost, and which I constantly find new things from. Writing also includes the possibility of living many lives as well as living in any time or world possible. I can satisfy my enthusiasm for research, but jump like a calf outside the strict boundaries of science. I can speak about things that are important to me and somebody listens. It’s wonderful!
~Virpi Hämeen-Anttila

I never had any doubts about my abilities. I knew I could write. I just had to figure out how to eat while doing this.
~Cormac McCarthy

Writing isn't generally a lucrative source of income; only a few, exceptional writers reach the income levels associated with the best-sellers. Rather, most of us write because we can make a modest living, or even supplement our day jobs, doing something about which we feel passionately. Even at the worst of times, when nothing goes right, when the prose is clumsy and the ideas feel stale, at least we're doing something that we genuinely love. There's no other reason to work this hard, except that love.
~Melissa Scott

A word is a bud attempting to become a twig. How can one not dream while writing? It is the pen which dreams. The blank page gives the right to dream.
~Gaston Bachelard

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become.
~Buddha

The pen is the tongue of the mind.
~Miguel de Cervantes

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: