Friday, October 23, 2009

To Tell the Truth


John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.



I didn’t dream last night about what to write, so I’ll go with my handy dandy instincts here. Truth in writing.

We as writer’s always embellish the truth on some level and maybe that is why I have trouble with the fictional tales. My spiritual tales are close to truth, and close enough to my quirky truth that they are real.

Honesty is something we need in our characters. For far too long we’ve read fiction that lies and in a sense we have a nation that feels comfortable in lying. Our politicians lie, our friends lie, and sometimes even our churches lie, (although they believe it is the truth, so I guess it’s okay.)

I have always been honest to a fault. Sometimes my truths seem over the top, unbelievable, and mere conjecture, but let me tell you, I have a real hard time lying. In my characters, I like an honest duo that fights the dark with the power of Light. My dark characters can lie like a rug. But where do I pull the character’s persona from if I myself am unable to lie?

I dig deep into my past, where people have lied to me to no end. I dredge up old horrible memories and create a character out of that. I have some doozies too. The character then comes off as dark and deeply disturbed.

Now with non-fiction, like my blog, I tell the truth until I’m blue in the face. I hold my breath and think, “Did I just write that?” People ask me,”Did that really happen?” And I have to say, “Yeah, it did as awful as it sounds, it did.”

I’m writing my memoirs and I was moving along posting my story in a NaNo fashion, National Novel Writing Month, where you pen some seventy-thousand words in a month.
There I posted most of my life, up to about twenty one, and the poor souls couldn’t believe my story. They did, because they know me, my personality,and my honesty but they were stunned to see that I turned out this way, as good and honest and pure as I am. Okay not perfect by no means, but you get what I mean, right?

There it is, my testament of faith. If I lie then would my testament hold any credence? I don’t think so. In truth, my testament is a rock, a foundation to stand on firmly and people look at me and say, “Wow!”

Ever hear the saying, “The truth shall set you free?” In all honesty, it does, it is a healing place for me. If you deny the pain, anguish or hold shame in what has happened in the past, in essence, you are lying to yourself and making a mockery of the very faith that you hold in your heart.

So listen up. We writer’s, and non writer’s, have the most powerful tool in our hands and we need to wield it, it is the HEALING TOOL, brought to you by, none other than, God. *smile*

godspeed friends...

2 comments:

Steven said...

But what about that time you broke my favorite cup and you said the dog knocked it over? Hmm?

joni said...

Aww, you're so cute. If I broke your cup surely I would tell the truth and say that Adam did it. :::sticking tongue out:::