Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Inspiration

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
***

Ah the fresh rejuvenation of inspiration. Is there anything better?

What inspires you to write? Sometimes I’ll be laying in bed and thoughts of what I’ll write the next day will linger in my brain and I’ll go off on an imaginary trip of wonderment and by morning, I have dreamed and forgotten what inspired me to begin with.

Okay, I know that happens to you too, don’t try and deny it.

Anything can inspire me. Here lately, it is the elements that trigger something for me. Take rain or fog or snow and wind for example; these things can set you off on a whimsical tale and if you don’t write them down real quick, you might lose the idea.

My poem Layers, was inspired by the arrival, or soon to arrive, Spring. So much activity out there how can one not be inspired to write? I know a lot of people are so tired of the cold and snow and are just sitting there waiting for the layers of winter to be peeled away to expose spring time and all its glory. Just so you know, I’m not one of those people. ha ha

I’m one who actually likes the cold. It warms my heart knowing that there is a blanket of snow covering the ground hiding the grass and whatever else has burrowed into the ground for winter. I love wrapping a blanket around myself, cuddling, listening to the howling winds, protected and shielded by four walls, or walking in the brisk wind. I love it.

I know the hustling bustling cities don’t care for winter too much because in their need to get somewhere faster than the next guy in front, they lose sight of what inspired them to even wake up in the morning. I know, I was a city gal for a long long time. (No, I’m not old, I’m just saying, city life was years too long for me!)

But in defense of the smog laden places, there is an inspiration waiting to be tapped into. Sitting atop Federal Hill, overlooking the Inner Harbor, it inspires tales of boating, water, overpopulation, maybe even a dome wrapped over the city locking everyone inside? Oh, that was taken, sorry Mr. King. It also inspires tales of the ones who may have walked in that very spot, eon's before you, or, who may be floating by you as you sit on the bench. Baltimore is a very historic town, mind you.

That is also another form of inspiration. History. The groundwork laid out before us, our past, our present and our future, are all elements that will inspire a story. Don’t ever think there is a lack of inspiration because even in the slightest of things, animals, people, places, words, there lies a story just waiting to inspire you to write it down!

Be well, be safe, and most of all, be inspired!

4 comments:

Steven said...

Yay spring!

joni said...

lol!
Geez, I hope all further comments aren't as vocal!
I love you springman! lol

Doreen McGettigan said...

As always inspiring..I have found myself obsessed with writing lately..anything and everything..I have actually gotten out of bed at 3am to write..will it always be like this? I really do think it is creative spring fever.

joni said...

Doreen,
The answer is quite simple. Yes. :-)

Stormcrow (who is also my fiance) swears he's not a writer but I hear him tapping on the keys in the wee hours of the morning too. :-)

So yes, once you've been bitten by the writing bug...it is endless writing from here on out. :-)

And that's a good thing!

Be blessed.