Sunday, March 07, 2010

Poetry Sunday~ Layers

2 Samuel 23:4 And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after rain.
*** 
~ Layers ~

Blankets of snow peeled away
uncovering the grass beneath;
wherefore moss and worms cavort
under the last seasons leaf.

Robins bounce back into life
the cardinal’s song is heard.
Blue jays gather twigs and things
our days no longer blurred.

Cranes are flying overhead
heron gather together.
Geese are moving to and fro
to announce this glorious weather.

The sky it quivers full of sound
birds are making their way;
abundance of life hovers over me
as song sings out this day.

The sun stretches out its arms
a baby calf is born.
Spring has sprung back into life
this early mid-March morn.

5 comments:

Raven said...

This poem is marvelous. I can practically smell Spring as I sit at my desk reading. :)

Thank you for a breath of spring, Joni.

Raven

joni said...

The first to get a glimpse of this Spring time poem. With all the heron, cranes and geese flying over I just felt compelled to write something springy. :-)

Thanks for reading! :)

Always a pleasure when you visit.

June said...

I needed this touch of spring, Joni!

I love experiencing your early spring though all the various animals. (What happened to the squirrels???)

I agree with Raven -- especially the lines:
wherefore moss and worms cavort
under the last seasons leaf.

Delicious word choices!

Take care,
June

joni said...

Well one squirrel wrote it and the other two watched? lol

Kidding. I'm thinking the squirrels get their very own poem since I've watched a family of them playing all winter long.
They didn't hibernate and even enjoyed the snow. So my squirrels were in no way a symbol of spring. :-)

Thanks for the compliment!

Steven said...

Yay, spring!