Saturday, November 08, 2008

Quotation Saturday


Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.
~Marcel Proust

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
~Marcel Proust

They're fancy talkers about themselves, writers. If I had to give young writers advice, I would say don't listen to writers talk about writing or themselves.
~Lillian Hellman

You must learn to overcome your very natural and appropriate revulsion for your own work.
~William Gibson

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing.
~Benjamin Franklin

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
~Albert Einstein

If you start with a bang, you won't end with a whimper.
~T. S. Eliot

Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

The spirit of creation is the spirit of contradiction. It is the breakthrough of appearances toward an unknown reality.
~Joan Cocteau

Every reader finds himself. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument that makes it possible for the reader to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have seen in himself.
~Marcel Proust

It is in moments of illness that we are compelled to recognize that we live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom, whole worlds apart, who has no knowledge of us and by whom it is impossible to make ourselves understood: our body.
~Marcel Proust

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the first quote. You make me happy, so thank you. =)
I love this one too:
"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing."
~Benjamin Franklin
I was actually thinking about this in the morning, during my thinking time. lol, I have a thinking time, didn't you know?
I was thinking that I wouldn't like to be forgotten as soon as I die. Then I thought I have to be able to write something meaningful or something so good that can pass from generation to generation of readers, be found in the libraries of the future (how will they be?) I want someone to read me and wonder what kind of person I was. I don't want to be forgotten. It's amazing you posted that quote when I am having these thoughts.

-Susan