Saturday, March 21, 2009

Quotation Saturday~


In writing a series of stories about the same characters, plan the whole series in advance in some detail, to avoid contradictions and inconsistencies.
~L. Sprague de Camp

Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader. Not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.
~E.L. Doctorow

Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Expansion, that is the idea the novelist must cling to, not completion, not rounding off, but opening out.
~E. M. Forster

All fiction is a process of imagining: whatever you write, in whatever genre or medium, your task is to make things up convincingly and interestingly and new.
~Neil Gaiman

Prose is architecture, not interior decoration.
~Ernest Hemingway

The two most engaging powers of an author are, to make new things familiar, and familiar things new.
~Samuel Johnson

You could compile the worst book in the world entirely out of selected passages from the best writers in the world.
~G.K. Chesterton

Without a pen I feel naked, but it's writing that is my exhibitionism.
~Carrie Latet

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Joni,

I always love the quotes you post. I'm looking for one to post over my closet as I write. :)

So far, I've only chosen one:

"Grind your axe elsewhere."

heheheehe...

Raven

joni said...

Wow you arrived early today! Sorry my poem wasn't ready for poetry Sunday. :-( Church first, blog second. lol

Tomorrow is my birthday so I thought I'd post a poem about, ME!

But I love quotes, they really are motivational aren't they?

Another one?

"Put your axe to the grindstone or get nothing done!" Yeah it's mine. lol

Have a glorious day my friend!
Joni