Friday, April 24, 2009

Quotations for your Saturday


Everywhere I go I find a poet has been there before me. ~Sigmund Freud (1856 - 1939)

Great ability develops and reveals itself increasingly with every new assignment.
~Baltasar Gracian


Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and virtue than education without natural ability.
~Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)


Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
~Henry Van Dyke


Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires avid faith in yourself. That is why some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go much further than people with vastly superior talent.
~Sophia Loren (1934 - )


Time is just something that we assign. You know, past, present, it's just all arbitrary. Most Native Americans, they don't think of time as linear; in time, out of time, I never have enough time, circular time, the Stevens wheel. All moments are happening all the time.
~Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess

Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
~C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963)


Beneath the rule of men entirely great,The pen is mightier than the sword.
~Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803 - 1873), Richelieu


Be generous, be delicate, and always pursue the prize.
~Henry James (1843 - 1916), from his essay about the rules of writing


The way you define yourself as a writer is that you write every time you have a free minute. If you didn't behave that way you would never do anything.
~John Irving (1942 - )


Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
~Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (121 AD - 180 AD)


Hold faithfulness and sincerity as first principles.
~Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)


And so faith is closing your eyes and following the breath of your soul down to the bottom of life, where existence and nonexistence have merged into irrelevance. All that matters is the little part you play in the vast drama.
~Real Live Preacher



Author's note: I am moving this weekend from Texas to Nebraska. I needed to post the quotes so you wouldn't feel I've forgotten you. I will be back as soon as possible enlightening you with all my knowledge. For now peruse all my links and things and dig into older posts. godspeed my friends...

1 comment:

Raven said...

Joni,

I wish you a safe journey to your new home. Love your quotes. Have one to give back...

"I live in my own little world, but it's okay. They all know ME here."

It's hanging on a plaque above my desk.

:)

Raven