Thursday, April 09, 2009

The Tales of your Soul

Non-fiction writing

We writer’s can conjure up fairies and spellbinding magical lands. We can take you deep into the abyss while leaving you, the reader, breathless from the journey. That’s what writers do. We captivate you.

But ask us about intimate triumphant stories of our personal lives, then suddenly a lot of writer’s will put up a barricade not letting you enter into that domain. I see a growing market in this shattered economy for true stories. Sure the fiction will always carry us to the fantasy worlds of our dreams but reality is much more intriguing.

People tend to want to hear about struggles, pain and suffering. Just like our fictional characters have there ups and downs, when it switches to the character being a real live person with hardships and heart break, we the public want to read about the quest.

I, personally, have no hard time telling of the tragedies that have befallen my dysfunctional family and life. You know why? Because I would not be the woman I am today if ever I changed one incident.

Think about that for a moment. When someone says, “Do you have any regrets?” or “Is there anything you would change if you could go back and do it over again?” I always give a resounding, “No!” If I changed who my parents were, I would be a different woman. If I changed the poverty of my family, I would be a spoiled rich kid. If I changed my career and slung pizza’s all of my life (yes, I did sling pizza’s for a living.) I would not be the appreciative God fearing woman that I am today.

I always hear people complain about trivialities. “I broke another fake nail.” or “My car broke down and my kid needs to get to school, and I’m broke after we ordered out last night.” Why did you order out? Didn’t you think you would ever have a circumstance where the money was needed more than the “take-out” dinner?

Wake up people. Life is happening all around you and misfortune is knocking on everyone’s door. No one is exempt here and I don’t care what country or state that you live in, you are feeling the pain too!

Write about your life’s story. Give the world a tell all odyssey that they can sink their teeth into and most of all, relate to on many different levels. People in the world need to know that they’re not alone in their plight. Just think, you can touch someone in Somalia, making them feel not so alone.

So what are you waiting for? Are you going to let fear of the unknown stop you from sharing? Are you going to let the fantasy writing tie you up and bind you and keep you in denial any longer? Liberate yourself. Free the person within; participating in human compassion.

No comments: