Monday, February 01, 2016

Do You Know Him?

Titus 1:16 “They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.”

Do you KNOW God or do you know ABOUT Him? There is a difference you know.

Pastor made a point. He said a man came banging on his door one night demanding money. The person screamed out “I know you’re a pastor, you have to help me.”
Pastor replied, “I have small children upstairs, you’re scaring them, I don’t know you.”
The boisterous man went on, “Let me in you (expletive) (expletive).” And he went on yelling expletives and pastor surmised this person did not know God. He was left to call the police.

Pastor went on to say that if you (a parishioner) came knocking on his door, that he would help you because he knows you know God. Yes we’re called to help strangers but we’re also, if we know God, know the difference. 

He told of a recent story where a man went sliding off the road and good Samaritans came to the mans rescue but when the stranded motorist heard the rescuers calling the police for assistance, he went on a rampage and began shooting the good Samaritans, killing one.

We don’t live in a day and age where it is our duty to help EVERYONE but we often don’t know who or what to help. Discernment helps in these instances. 

So, do you know God or know about Him. When you know someone, like a dear friend, you invite them in to have coffee and welcome them into your home. You know them personally and you share the good and bad with them, not just the good. Some people fear allowing people to know the real them and I ask, do you think you can hide from God what it is you fear sharing with friends?

Then there are people who know ABOUT you, by what you say and do and show them. They don’t know the real you because you keep it so well hidden. Again I’m going to ask, do you think you can hide the real you from God Almighty?

Scenario #1

Knock on door – You open it.

You – “Hey Jesus, how you doing, come on in. Here let me clean a spot on the sofa for you to sit down.”
Jesus – Thank you, I didn’t come here to see how clean your house is.
You – “But cleanliness is next to Godliness right?”
Jesus – So what are you doing?
You – “Me, I’m just posting some things on facebook. Look, a meme with scripture, see?”
Jesus – Oh, is that a scripture you were meditating and praying on?
You  - “Um, no, it’s just a random meme. I don’t want people to think I’m a Jesus freak and all.” 
Jesus – Oh. So what else are you posting?
You -  “Well, I’m ranting about hating those Muslim people again. You’re with me on that aren’t you? Those freaks are killing your people! I have to get the word out so others will hate them too! And they do, in record numbers! Yay me, right?”
Jesus – So, is that what you learned from me? Instead of love your enemy, you hate your enemy. Instead of love thy neighbor, you hate your neighbor?

Matt. 7:1 "Judge not, that ye be not judged.
[2] For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
[3] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
[4] Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?"

You – “But wait, everyone else hates them God haters too, they’re destroying our country. They’re killing your people! We KNOW what you want from us.”
Jesus- And you don’t think I’m doing my job in the time that you want or I don't know HOW to do my job? You trust me not? Are ye of little faith?

John 8:4 "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
[5] Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
[6] This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
[7] So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

You – Okay wait, I go to church, I read my bible. I pray.
Jesus – When is the last time you visited an elderly neighbor and offered them food? When have you thought of others before your own self? When do you put ME before you? 
I need to go now.
You -  “But…but you’ll come back right?” 
Jesus – I thought I lived here?

Scenario #2

A knock on the door

You – “Well hello Jesus, my Father and Savior welcome!”
Jesus – Thank you.
You – “I’ve waited and prepared for this day all of my life, for you to come in the flesh! I’m really excited.”
Jesus – So, what are you doing?
You – “Well, I’m just reading the word. I’ve meditated and prayed on the Word and am about to share it with fellow believers. Some might need to hear this. Some are looking for your word and I offer it to them from my heart, from my very soul.” 
Jesus – So what did you do today?
You – “Well, first we had fellowship. Then I went to my neighbors’ house and offered them some fresh baked bread my wife made. I took one of their kids a toy we bought.
We’re getting ready to pray for them, the wife is really sick and needs prayer.” 
Jesus – Thank you.  I need to go now.
You – “But wait, we made you up a bed. You’re here for the duration. Am I dead?”


Scenario #3

Knock knock

Jesus – Hello, can I come in?
You – Who is it?
Jesus – It’s me, Jesus of Nazareth.
You – I hate foreigners! Especially ones from THAT country! Go away!
Jesus – But I came with a message for you.
You – Go away! You can’t offer me anything that I haven’t already heard already. I don’t need you or believe in you. Go away.

John 11:35 “Jesus wept.”

What scenario would play out if Jesus were to knock on YOUR door today? Think about it, seriously. 

May you know God and may He Bless you!

No comments: