Monday, February 15, 2016

I Fell in Love






1 Cor. 2:9 “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

I fell in love...all over again…

I’ve been in a relationship my entire adult life. I’ve known love, lived love and loved love. I’ve been with Steven for thirteen years now and though we didn’t instantly fall in love when we first met we were instant friends via the internet.

We had both just come off of bad relationships so you can see why we never decided to get married for many years after we met face to face. Our idea of love was tainted by what we had been through in our past and we were damned if we were going to make the same mistake twice. 

He never really knew love because lust is what drove him in previous relationships, and that’s all they were, relationships. He hadn’t known love, true love. As for me I was a child of circumstance. I yearned for love and would take anyone who dared to show me love and it is what kept me married for 20 years, until I became a woman and realized love wasn’t about a man controlling and obsessing over you, it is the feeling that two people share in becoming one complete unit. 

When I made my way to Texas, I wasn’t ‘in love’, I loved him dearly but in love meant something totally different. The years passed and I fell ‘in love’ to the extent that we both fell and knew a union was the difference. We married last year because we knew that this was the final road for us. It wasn’t the beginning and it wasn’t an ending it was the communion of love spreading over us that we knew had to be completed in the form of marriage.

This is the instance where definitely two worlds collided, farm boy meets city girl. Opposite ends of the world meeting in the middle and hitting it off like the Fourth of July firework displays. We’ve had our ups and downs but more times than not we’ve relished many more ups. We complete each other and yesterday it hit me (not for the first time) that he’s my husband in every sense of the word. 

When we first met he inundated me with lyrics, lyrics that spoke to me better than the songs themselves. When we met face to face the lyrics stopped, he then began playing melodies on the saxophone and well, city girl just melted like a snowman holding a candle I’ll have you know!

It was kind of beautiful watching from the inside, the love growing in leaps and bounds. We went from lyrics, to melodies to movies; all of which we had in common and we now share our lives as if we only live for one another. 

We’ve never been a couple who celebrates Valentine’s Day, not because we don’t love each other but because we DO love each other, every single day and Valentine’s is just another holiday that is over commercialized and I might be the first woman he’s ever met that said, “No thanks” to chocolates, to diamonds, to gifts, to the mushy froo froo for Valentines day that so many other women EXPECT.

I’ve always written him a poem because well that’s what I do; I’m a writer. This year was no different except for the fact that it was our very first Valentine’s Day as man and wife. It felt different too, especially when he made me a video with clips of all of our favorite movies (that we watch over and over again).

It started off:  

Groundhog Day - “Whatever happens tomorrow or for the rest of my life, I’m happy now because I love you” 

School of Rock - “You’re the cats pajamas, you’re the bees knees!”

Mr. Deeds - “Hard to breathe, feels like floating, so full of love, my heart’s exploding.
Mouth is dry, hands are shaking, my heart is yours for the taking. 
Acting weird, not myself, dancing around like the Keebler elf.
Finally time for this poor schlub, to know how it feels to fall in lub.”

E. T. “I’ll be right here.” 

A Beautiful Mind – “I’m only here tonight because of you. You are the reason I am. You’re all my reasons.”

Lord of the Rings – Smeagol – “My PRECIOUS!”

Casper- “Kat? Can I keep you?”

A movie with Andrew Lincoln, Rick from The Walking Dead – Showing sign boards to his love – “To me, you are perfect. And my wasted heart will love you
Until you look like… A ZOMBIE?” lol

Forrest Gump – “I’m not a smart man, but I KNOW what love is.”

Wall-E – Eve hugs Wall-e upon seeing him alive out there floating in space. She squeals and kisses him. He drifts off in orbit dazed by love!

Then we cut to “You’ve Got Mail” ending scene that looks a little like when Steven and I met. (Well they’re a lot better looking (not much) but you get the point. I was so glad to see him and meet him for the first time in REAL life, not from behind a screen. And the REST is History! 
The scene comes alive with the song – Somewhere Over the Rainbow!

I love my honey! More today than yesterday but half as much as tomorrow. 
And he TRULY loves me!!!

No comments: