Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Year in Review

Pss. 6: [2] Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.
***
Well I have to admit this has been a year of roller coaster riding. Up and down, then back up and then down.


January -- Found my dog hit by a car and for weeks I nursed her back to health. With ice packs, and the mounted up snowfall, January started off on the lower section of the roller coaster. The shoveling was taking its toll on my back, but I plowed right through. Hey, I’m young, right?


February- March -- Found my dog healing and finally the medicare kicked in for Steven and he was able to get to the eye doctors, one that God chose, not one that anyone had referred him to. We were high on the roller coaster now, things looked good from up here for a bit.


April-May -- These two months found us in high spirits with the opportunity arising that a cornea transplant would come soon. With a doctor visit; the physical was done, and now  he was on the transplant waiting list. We did just that, waited. And waited. In the meantime there was mowing to be done, a yard to tend to, weeds to pull, but the cold air was hanging on tightly and May was just too chilly to really get out there and sink my hands into the soil.


June-July -- These months warmed up nicely. Weeds were sprouting everywhere, so much so I could not keep up with them. Adam and I mowed and yanked weeds. I planted and pulled more weeds, and my back was crying in pain but I went on. You just pull your big girl pants on, swallow the pain and become friends with Mr. Heating pad! I’m not one who likes to pop pills to relieve pain, so just some stretching exercises and nice relaxing days.


August- September -- Ahh the start of school! I had to get Adam in for a dentist appointment. He got a cleaning and two small fillings, then a clean bill of health. The school year started off on a good note this year and he’s been doing pretty good with his grades. I guess home schooling all those years before high school made him a well adjusted teen. Good job! Here we were still waiting on the cornea transplant to arrive and the long summer wait was now turning into a Fall wait and see. Patience my friend, patience.


October -- We got the long awaited call...the cornea had arrived. On the 10th, the operation took place and after an initial scare, which took us to Omaha five times in the month. My back was beginning to feel the pressure and an excruciating toothache held me captive the entire month. The month ended with sight restored and an amazing miracle as Steven could see his hometown in full color after two and a half years of being blind!


November -- This was the month that as Steven healed, my body crumbled. I had a tooth extracted, but the infection in my mouth was needling at the nerves in my back. A back x-ray showed that I had facet-joint arthritis and as I looked into more info on it, it flares up in the presence of an infection in the body. The dentist didn’t think the pain in my back related to the infection in my mouth, but then again she had no idea that I had arthritis which is just another name for inflammation.


December -- Found me at the dentist again with some not so great news. Close to ten grand needed but a down payment would get me and all the work needed started. She may have sympathy on me and possibly only 4500 will be needed but still she says this to a woman who hasn’t a penny to her name. I am poor, and found myself actually begging for my life. Literally.
Where is Steven in all of this? Well, he is on Social Security, and medicare, and if not for medicare, medicaid and the Lions Club, he would not have been seeing all the lights this Christmas. It will take a year of healing, and possibly the sutures on the cornea may not be taken out; the doc will watch him closely for a year.


I’ll end the year not knowing what tomorrow will bring or the New year, but I can say, I AM BLESSED! My family of writers/ artists, my church family have all surrounded me and comforted and help me in ways, you can only dream about. I am loved. And the year isn’t over!


I will rejoice in the New Year. I hold my head high and rejoice in the Lord and Savior, for it is He who carries me through each and every day!!! I WILL heal and I will come back fighting to the writing world! But for now... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


Read more at: BenningsWritingPad

7 comments:

benning said...

Yep! You ARE loved. :D

Steven said...

More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,
and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,
and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
Romans 5:3-5

joni said...

Amen! I hear ya and second that. We rejoice together.

We shall over come...

Alyssa Ast said...

This year has been full up ups and downs here as well; although, the good certainly outweighed the bad. Can't wait to see what 2012 brings!

joni said...

I think it has been for a lot of folks Alyssa. I was just saying to my friend, "My problems seem like an anthill compared to the mountains that others are facing." And it is so true.

I have a little foresight into next year for me.. it is FULL of HOPE and PROMISE!!! :)

May yours be full too! :)

The souls remedy said...

Thank you for this warm felt and touching post! Though we all ride on some roller coaster in life, God has a way of making a way out of no way even when we cannot find the stop button! So many people take for granted God's Blessings and find a way to complain you choose to find the joy in the pain. Your honesty, faith and passion are an inspiration May God keep you and I will be praying for you and Steven!

joni said...

Thank you Soul!

I always have said, "I am honest to a fault." But it is what I believe in, truth and honesty. :)

Continued prayer is always welcome!

Thank you!