Friday, March 10, 2017

Living Testimony

1 peter. 4:10 “As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.”

Living Testimony

Did you know that people who are terminally ill don’t have a choice where or when they die?

"As of June 2016, human euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, Colombia, and Luxembourg. Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, Germany, Japan, Canada, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Vermont, Montana, and California."

A couple of months ago my husband went for a yearly check-up and we were told about A Living Will. His doctor said, that although we were young and presumably healthy, we should have one prepared in the event that if anything happened to either one of us, where our families might feel they know what we want in the end, this would be our notarized decision.

I boldly told hubby that I would never want to be kept alive by feeding tubes or on machines. We’ve never thought of stuff like that before and oddly this was what we were to think about but never got around to and here I sit today.

No, don’t worry, this is not going to be a downer post this is going to be the uplifting inspiring posts that you’ve come to expect from me! You see, nobody wants to think of death, yet it is a natural part of life. We want to think of uplifting positive journeys and what we need to do before, well you know, the time comes when we’re called home.

1 Pet. 4:11 “If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”

I always see the positive in the negative and this illness is no different. I don’t see this as a time to roll over and let the doctors do with me what they will, I see this as a time to stand up as my ancestors before me weren’t strong enough to do. I’ve always been a rebel of sorts, going against the grain. For crying out loud, I chose St. Joan of Arc as my patron Saint when I was a young girl in a Catholic school when the nuns were against my CHOICE.

I’m no longer a practicing Catholic but I still do somewhat admire Joan of Arc for all she stood for. Standing for Christ when all others rejected her and thought that she shouldn’t fight in a long-running war at a very young age. What is strangely odd is that unbeknownst to me, her father's name was Jacques d’Arc. Years ago, I named one of my dogs Jacques. Yup, same spelling. Weird, huh?

Some St. Joan of Arc quotes:

“I am not afraid... I was born to do this.”

“If I am not, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me.”

“I was in my thirteenth year when I heard a voice from God to help me govern my conduct. And the first time I was very much afraid.”

From History. Com. “Against the advice of most of his counselors and generals, Charles granted her request, and Joan set off for OrlĂ©ans in March of 1429 dressed in white armor and riding a white horse.”

I only bring Joan of Arc up because this is what I feel like from the doctor’s trying to force me to get chemo and feel they will burn me at the stake as soon as I mention talking to God about this decision. They can’t burn me at the stake here in a free country but if I was under eighteen, you can bet they WOULD force me single-handedly to take the chemo route. 

My mother's aunt had breast cancer, went the chemo/butcher route and it was the family’s belief that by opening her up it allowed the disease to spread. The same thing happened to my father’s aunt and my own aunt and uncle. Ancestrally, many family members all went the same route and I’m not defying the doctor’s, besides me doing this with God, I am doing this for my deceased family members who might not have known any better or any other treatments at the time. I’m doing it for my son, my nieces, and nephews and their children who might find themselves dealt the same hand as I am dealt. I am doing this for God who keeps reminding me of Romans 8:31 “What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?”

They need to know that it is okay to go against the grain! It’s okay to be a martyr and listen to God! It’s okay to swim against the tide, away from the fish all heading in the same direction. Stand alone if you must but always think of the greater things outside the box. This is the one legacy I’ll leave to my son and my nieces and nephews. They’ll know first and foremost I stood with God and this is where He led me and never did I doubt or fear where I was being driven. I trust Him with my life, literally. That’s what we all must do. 

As you thought this post would be a downer, you were led to a place of hope. Hope in tomorrow and hope in the Lord our God and where He leads us. The hardest part is giving Him 100% trust but when we do… I can’t explain the liberating freedom that comes along with the trust. All I do know is that I’d rather be in no other hands but His! Praise Be to God!

1 Pet. 4:12-13 “Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.”


4 comments:

Donna Sundblad said...

Following the Lord is the key. Being in His hands...and leaving the outcome to Him. I lost a dear sister in the Lord to the conventional chemo treatment. She suffered for two years with poor quality of life, and then went home to be with the Lord at age 47. That was a turning point for me. I started looking into alternatives.

joni said...

Donna,
There are too many alternative treatments out there to NOT want to go that route. I failed to mention my husband's aunt who is now in assisted living, being fed by tubes, fighting for two years now and this is where it got her.

I totally get it when some will say that 'this disease is nothing to mess with." They scoff when I say, "My GOD is nothing to mess with, either!" :D

My wish is that more and more people trusted HIM over their own selfish thoughts and ways.

God be with you, Donna! If you ever need ANYTHING, you let me know! Sisters stick together! <3 <3 <3

benning said...

Standing on Faith ... The Way. The ONLY way. :)

*hugs!*

joni said...

You don't become a living testimony any other way than His way. :)

*hugs*