Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Truth Hurts

Pss. 86: 11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Yes it does.  I still remember being told that Santa Claus was not real. Yeah, I had mean brothers and a sister who didn’t want to see me happy, so when I proclaimed Santa got it for me, they made sure they said loud and clear, “Santa ain’t real!” (Yeah they used the word ain’t)

I didn’t want to believe it. My mother wouldn’t lie to me, would she? Well sure enough, she wasn’t happy with my brothers' way of telling me but she did sit me down and tell me the truth. Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny all lies concocted by some age old myth. Great, my entire life was a lie. Granted I was only six but to me, my life was all a lie. I grew to form my own beliefs, never, and I mean never counting on man to feed me the truth!

Now imagine me as a grown Christian woman, someone telling me that the Bible has ‘some lies’ or untruths in it (lies; untruths, same thing), but ‘most’ of it is true. Well slap me upside the head and color me stupid!

My faith has been built on these truths, or what I have known and been SHOWN to be truths and after being told that, all of my biblical beliefs came crashing down around me and I began digging through the rubble reassessing my ‘beliefs’.

The truth hurts. Have you ever been lied to? It sure doesn’t feel good, nor does it feel good when you find out the truth.

Pss. 32: 8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Instead of doubting my faith, I went to God himself and asked for clarification so that I might respond clearly to the attack, as I saw it, of lies about Him and His truth. He guided me to truths about Him and when shown to the person, undoubtedly the person became angry. Mind you they were not MY truths, they were God’s truths.

I didn’t dig for scientific proof, I didn’t sling words to say 'Believe this', I slung it to say, you’ve showed me what YOU believe to be truth, and here is what I believe to be truth.

Truth hurts. I also got a quite intelligent answer from a kid, almost 18 years old. He said, “There are only opinions of one truth.”

“What?” I said.

“Truth is like a tree root, it grows and grows, the branches are the opinions formed from that truth.”

Wow, what a smart kid, I say!

Eph. 3: 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Imagine a strong wind coming in and breaking those branches leaving all leaves on it to wither and die. No, I won’t be a branch, I won’t pretend to be a leaf. I choose to be the root and the Son being the Light in which I find my strength to grow.

THAT is my truth. THAT is who I am. I won’t be swayed by science; I won’t be molded by words of men. Science is just an opinion formed by men with supposed intelligence. Remember, science once stated that Pluto was a planet, only for years to pass and then to say it isn’t a planet. What IS the truth?

I tell you this writers, the reader WILL find out for themselves. If you mislead them or try to fool them, they WILL find out. And the truth hurts.




2 comments:

Tiggs said...

WOW--Shattered truths are devastating! I have seen many fall from following Christ because of lies and misdeeds within the church--it breaks my heart--2 of my kids (and 1-adopted) are in this position :(.

Although I gave them all they needed, outsiders claiming to be good Christians destroyed "most" of their faith.

I wait--I say "most" because God has gave me a promise many years ago that all were saved and will return to him in His time--I am just to follow Him and let my life be an example--not to push--only share at His leading.

I am not sure I agree with you on your interpretation of:
"Eph. 3: 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Imagine a strong wind coming in and breaking those branches leaving all leaves on it to wither and die. No, I won’t be a branch, I won’t pretend to be a leaf. I choose to be the root and the Son being the Light in which I find my strength to grow."

I will have to look into that more.

I remember many times Jesus saying that He is the Vine and we are the Branches. If we are the branches on HIS vine (Tree--which would also make HIM the roots) and are holding fast to HIS truths, I don't believe we can be blown off by that strong wind--only made stronger in our belief.

That is my "take" on it. By no means am I wanting to "challenge" or "say you are wrong" you--I hope you know that! Just sharing some of my understanding that I have learned.

AND--even though I don't keep up here daily or post a comment--know that I am always reading what your write. You, your life, your writing IS and inspiration to me--sometimes I feel as if you are writing just to ME!

That I believe is a God thing--sometimes not reading the day you write a post--the day I do get to it--is just the day God wanted me to read what you have to say.

I know you are writing for you--that is what writers do--at least that is what I am learning--but know that your writing, insight, and encouragement touches everyone that reads it.

Keep writing what is in your heart! That is when your love shows through your writing!

Blessings~~ Tiggs

joni said...

You are absolutely right!

You wrote:I remember many times Jesus saying that He is the Vine and we are the Branches. If we are the branches on HIS vine (Tree--which would also make HIM the roots) and are holding fast to HIS truths, I don't believe we can be blown off by that strong wind--only made stronger in our belief.

I was speaking metaphorically in where I will not be a leaf that is blown only to fall to the ground to be trampled on, or a branch that is broken by the winds.

I AM that branch of His vine rooted in Him solely.

I wrote from a hurt place, as often I do. I AM being made stronger by this because it made me
realize friends can be enemies in disguise waiting to knock you off that tree.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to reassess.

Jesus is my root to which I am strengthened.

Thank you so much for reading!

I value your friendship!

(((HUGS and blessings)))